The existing classic swing bridge, two concrete bridges and the 2½-mile roadway were built from 1952-1958 replacing the ferry service. The bridge and roadway system are the only land link from Placida to historic Boca Grande.
The swing bridge was the only privately owned toll bridge in Florida when it was purchased in 1998 by Giba. The bridge is the only swing bridge in operation in Florida and is manned 24 hours a day.
The steel swing span is 213 feet in length. At high tide Coast Guard boat clearances are: low point - 9 feet and the high point - 13 feet. It is one of the largest operational "swing bridges" in the State of Florida and the U.S.